<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 30, 2003

I Don’t Know How She Does It  

Yesterday I stopped by a friend’s place to drop off something on my way to a seminar. It was early evening; she’s probably been home from her full-time job for only an hour or two. My plan was to just pop in for a second, drop off what I had for her and take off for my seminar. Instead, I found her children so appealing and her home so warm and inviting, I ended up lingering and wishing I could stay.

I don’t know how she does it.

Within seconds of my arrival, I had been cheerfully greeted by three merry children, had a happy baby smiling in my arms, and was given a homemade Halloween gift that I incorrectly guessed had been made at school. Not so…Mommy helped them make the cute little black spider pumpkins with pipe cleaner arms and wiggly eyes.

I don’t know how she does it.

With four active children under the age of 9, a husband she quite obviously adores, and a full-time position as a vice president in a business that employs hundreds of people, she manages to find time to decorate her home creatively and beautifully, donate her time and business expertise to worthy causes and community efforts, scrapbook to preserve her family’s memories, dream up (and make) totally imaginative ideas for holiday gifts, read a mass of magazines and books, cook creative meals, do crafts with her children, have dates with her husband, and nurture her friendships. And now she’s started to blog!

I don’t know how she does it.

She is one of the happiest people I know, and she makes it all look so easy and natural. I found myself wanting to just remain there in her world. Looking back at her house as I was getting into my car to leave, it seemed as though the very light pouring out of her windows into the crisp autumn evening was as magical and mysterious as love itself.

I don’t know how she does it. But I hope whatever it is rubs off on me.
e-mail this writer

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?